The Kronendal was the first farm in Hout Bay established in the 1670’s. The homestead is one of the oldest and only surviving example of the Cape Dutch typical H-plan architecture in the Cape Peninsula. The back section of the homestead was built in the early 1700s (which explains why the back gable carries the year 1713). The building was enlarged several decades later by Johannes Guilliam Van Helsdingen where 1800 appears on the front gable. The homestead changes ownerships many times throughout the centuries and was declared a National Monument in 1961.

Between 1835 and 1849 the Kronendal Farm was owned by Sir Abraham Josias Cloete. Legend tells that the homestead is still haunted by his daughter Elsa Cloete who died of a broken heart after she was forbidden to marry her soldier lover. Some people claim seeing her standing behind the gable window at moon lit nights looking out onto the oak tree alley – waiting for her lover…

As a sign of respect to the legend told; every night an immaculate table is laid with silver, food and flowers for Elsa and her lover.